Do you have what it takes to be successful? You don't need the right family, an inheritance, supportive parents, good looks, or anything else that's beyond your control. Those things can certainly make the road smoother, but they're not imperative.
You can create everything you need to be successful:
1. A vision for the future. It's important to know what you want. How will you get what you want if you don't know what you want? A vision for the future is the same as making decisions about what you want and don't want.
* That vision also provides the motivation to continue when things become challenging, and they will.
* Creating a vision board that actually works and that you'll actually use is vital. We include the often missed steps in our Vision Board Workshop. These will guide you into creating and following through.
VISION BOARD WORKSHOP
2. Goals. Once you have a vision, you're in the position to create goals to make that vision a reality. Failing to have goals is deciding to keep your life the same.
3. The ability to create habits. A healthy body is the result of an effective set of habits. Effective habits will also provide you with a healthy bank account. Your ability to reach your goals is largely dependent on your ability to create and implement habits.
4. The ability to connect with others. There aren't too many things you can do completely on your own. Others will be involved along the way. They might be customers, clients, suppliers, partners, or the public at large.
5. The ability to deal with discomfort. Success involves change. Change is uncomfortable. How do you handle discomfort? Do you become overwhelmed, grab the remote, and head for the couch with a plate full of cookies? Or do you take a deep breath, step up, and take care of business?
* Successful people are able to act even when they feel uncomfortable.
6. Proactivity. Successful people look ahead and make appropriate plans. They see their future opportunities and challenges and modify their plans and behaviors accordingly. Life also goes more smoothly if you're proactive.
7. Grit. Much of the journey to reach your goals isn't fun or exciting. It's a grind. The ability to persevere when there's nothing exciting going on is a good way to gauge how successful you can become. The easier it is for you to give up, the less likely you are to be successful.
8. Patience. Patience and grit are related. Creating success requires time and patience. Patience is necessary to see concrete results. Without patience, frustration eventually wins.
9. A regular review of your results. Having a vision and goals isn't enough. It's important to review the results you're getting. Is your plan working? Could you make some changes that would bring better results? Measure and review your results regularly.
10. A good sense of humor. Life is funny. Things will go wrong no matter how well you prepare. Unique opportunities pop up along the way. If you can laugh at life and its follies, you'll have a better chance of experiencing and enjoying success.
Success doesn't require anything outside of your control. You need a vision, a plan to get there, and the ability to follow through. You can be as successful as anyone you've ever known. Take control and create a life that pleases you. Begin today by creating a vision of the future that compels you to make goals and take action.